Saturday, November 8, 2014

The Tale of Alek Greycastle

My grandfather, Evendur Greycastle, led the Silverymoon Seven in battle against Althaunagrym, a white dragon that plagued the Silver Marches. Though his whole team contributed to the wyrm’s downfall, he struck the killing blow. My family kept the battle-scarred spear he wielded, and I carry it with me today.

I was raised in Silverymoon, our family able to settle down and live comfortably off of grandfather’s share of the dragon’s hoard. I misspent my youth reading about the adventures of my grandfather and other heroes of the North. Hoping to claim some of that glory for myself, I joined the Blackblades mercenary company after I came of age.

There, I trained under One-Eyed Glenn, the company’s crusty battle chaplain. He tutored me in the chronicling of the unit’s history, medicine, combat, and the devotions of the war god Tempus. From him I learned respect for authority. Together, we faced many of the horrors plaguing the northern Realms, contracting under everyone from the Lords of Waterdeep to the Arcane Brotherhood. From those travails, I learned courage.

Then last year my unit was ambushed by a group of monstrous humanoids being led by members of the Cult of the Dragon. During the battle, I learned from one of the cultist that I was the target; the Cult planned on taking vengeance for my grandfather. One-Eyed Glenn led a counter-attack that allowed me to escape. Facing certain death, he gave me his battered old warhammer to remember his sacrifice.

I returned to Silverymoon and learned that the rest of my family had also been targeted. Not long after, members of the Lords Alliance sent by Taern Hornblade approached me. They wanted to higher me to investigate Cult of the Dragon activity further south. Hoping to live up to my grandfather’s legacy and wanting some vengeance for myself, I accepted.


My squad traveled to the Western Heartlands, pursued by agents of the Cult to the alleys of Baldur’s Gate. I disbanded the squad in Beregost to protect the lives of my men, and headed for the small town of Greenest, hoping to lay low in an out of way location until the Cult’s interest in me waned. There I found employment assisting the beleaguered healers of the Temple of Chauntea. Hopefully, posing as a healer instead of a soldier will get the Cult off my scent.

No comments:

Post a Comment