Monday, August 7, 2017

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...

...For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Alec couldn't make it. So I volunteered to run a boss rush. Everybody broke out their high level characters, and I set up an encounter with an adult blue dragon. For those of you unfamiliar with D&D dragons, blue dragons live in deserts and breath lightning bolts. In past editions, they had affinity for illusions.

Not a lot to tell. But for a DM running a high level "boss" like this:

1) Dragons need room to use their maneuverability.
2) Legendary actions and lair actions are your friend.
3) Players are jerks.

After letting my dragon fly around, Jornath trapped my dragon in a forcecage with Maveith. Maveith jumped onto the dragon's back and chained himself to it before the cage was cast. I managed to kill most of their summoned berserkers with breath weapons, legendary actions, and lair actions. I also buried poor Tathora at one point.

The next dragon will be higher level, and I think I will use the spellcasting variant.

Next week Alec will be back. I can continue my DMing hiatus. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment